Pages

Monday 17 August 2015

You can do that - Yoga


Just found this pic on google and I think this picture is another blog! but anyway, on with this one. Always remember at some point in time asana / postures became traditional. Before that they were working things out on what is what. Then they said, this is it. This is Hatha Yoga or Ashtanga Yoga
or Iyengar etc. There will always be school of people who feel it is set in stone. And there's another school that believe it can continue to grow. I must admit I love traditional things, steeped in history and text books and culture and rigid can be good. But, I also love freedom, possibilities, spontaneity, flexibility and everything that wants to break the rules.

Having come to yoga from dance I'm going through a learning curve that you don't experience in dance. With dance although there are rules with alignment, yes of course, the body has the freedom to adjust and feel and get on with it.

In my short time as a yoga student I have met teachers who are so hell bent on alignment that the pure joy of asana is sucked out. The freedom of movement becomes rigid which is a very sad situation especially for the beginner. Tweaking a posture for a seasoned yogi is fine but can't we just get on with it and free up. I understand that Iyengar yoga is alignment but for the rest let's start enjoying the flow, the breath, just celebrating being on your mat and doing it.  Let's have space to body scan and get to know our own bodies before we can begin to get any type of alignment.

The thing is a beginner doesn't know their own body yet. That's the first lesson. They need time, time to explore their bodies first.

As a dancer I get irritated when I'm told I can't do something. Especially when there is no good reason why I can't. Why can't I use yoga arms in Pilates? What's the big deal? At the end of the day I want to feel good, smile and happy with my body and as a teacher I want my students to learn about themselves and feel wonderful with their practice. I want to boost them up not tear them down with continuous un necessary alignment corrections. Balance in everything. Some alignment corrections prevent injury, they must not be ignored, but I'm not talking about them.

I love space to connect with my practice..... I can enjoy, relax into the stretch and come away with the thought 'that felt good', not only physically but mentally too.

Sky







SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Life of Sky. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig